The campaign to launch the new PlayStation 5 in the UK became one of 2020’s most talked about marketing activations, winning awards across a range of creative and marketing disciplines.
Our starting point when tasked with creating a cultural cut-through moment for the launch, was PlayStation’s instantly recognisable imagery: the iconic triangle, circle, cross and square shapes.
What if we paired PlayStation’s famous iconography with other world-renowned icons to create something instantly recognisable, impressive and iconic?
From this creative idea, a partnership with Transport for London was developed which saw PlayStation reimaging Oxford Circus tube’s roundels to feature its four shapes.
Pairing PlayStation’s imagery with a British icon that had never been changed in such dramatic fashion before helped us achieve an iconic brand moment that grabbed media and consumer attention and highlighted the importance of the launch.
Media relations saw teasers sent to media pre-launch to encourage them to keep space free, whilst launch day featured a full sell-in to broadcast media, nationals, consumer lifestyle, specialist gaming media, marketing and London-focused titles. The activation was announced on social via a hero video and imagery dropping across PlayStation’s social channels, attracting immediate and widespread attention and excitement.
The activation delivered 960m+ media impressions; it trended on Twitter, generating over 106m impressions within 24 hours; and it was the lead story on Reddit. The image reveal on PlayStation’s owned channels generated 9m organic impressions
This contributed to PlayStation having the most successful UK console launch of all time and achieving a 69% market share.
The campaign has received the numerous accolades including being crowned the winner of four awards:
- Winner – PRmoment Awards 2021 – Integrated Communications Campaign of the Year
- Winner – PRmoment Awards 2021 – Best Use of Creativity
- Winner – SABRE Awards EMEA 2021 – Consumer Electronics
- Winner – SABRE Awards EMEA 2021 – Best in Live Events
- Winner – The Drum PR Awards 2021 – Music & Entertainment
- Winner – PRCA National Awards 2021 – Consumer Technology
- Winner – PRCA National Awards 2021 – Best Use of Planning, Research and Evaluation
- Runner Up (Silver Award) – PRmoment Awards 2021 – Consumer PR Campaign of the Year
- Highly Commended – The Drum PR Awards 2021 – Best Event, Stunt or Promotional Activation
- Highly Commended – PRCA National Awards 2021 – Consumer (High Budget)
- Finalist – CIPR Excellence Awards 2021 – Best Event
- Finalist – CIPR Excellence Awards 2021 – Consumer Relations Campaign
- Finalist – CIPR Excellence Awards 2021 – Arts, Culture, Sport or Entertainment Campaign
- Finalist – CIPR Excellence Awards 2021 – Integrated Campaign
- Finalist – PRmoment Awards 2021 – Community Engagement Campaign of the Year
- Finalist – PRmoment Awards 2021 – Culture, Media, Sport & Travel Marketing Communications Campaign of the Year
- Finalist – PRmoment Awards 2021 – Innovation in Public Relations Award
- Finalist – PRmoment Awards 2021 – Stunt of the Year
- Finalist – The Drum PR Awards 2021 – Consumer Products or Services